In June 2021, Rajasthan Chief Minister Shri Ashok Gehlot approved the draft of Mukhyamantri Kisan Mitra Energy Yojana (MKMEY). Under this scheme, the state government will give a grant of Rs 1,000 per month and maximum Rs 12,000 per year on electricity bills to metered agricultural consumers.
Salient Features of Mukhyamantri Kisan Mitra Energy Yojana (MKMEY)
- Under this scheme, the state government will give a grant of Rs 1,000 per month and maximum Rs 12,000 per year on electricity bills to metered agricultural consumers.
- Electricity bills will be issued by the discoms to the eligible agricultural consumers on the basis of bi-monthly billing system and 60% of the bill (subject to a maximum of Rs 1,000 per month) will be payable by the government on a pro-rata basis.
- The grant amount will be payable only if the electricity distribution companies do not have arrears against the consumer. After paying the arrears, the subsidy amount will be payable to the consumer on the upcoming bills.
- The scheme will cost the state exchequer Rs 450 crore. An allowance of 750 crores has been made in year 2021-22 for Tariff Subsidy.
- The benefit of this scheme will start from May 2021.
- Central and state government employees and income tax payers will not be eligible for agricultural consumer subsidy.
- Eligible consumers will have to get their Aadhaar number and bank account linked with the scheme.
- If a farmer consumes less electricity and his bill is less than Rs 1,000, then the difference between the actual bill and the grant amount will be deposited in his bank account. This will encourage farmers to save electricity.